View Single Post
alchemise11

Member Since Jun 2016
1 hugs
given
Default Jun 30, 2016 at 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ying Yang View Post
Hi Moomoocows, I suffer in a similar way. When I have arguments with loved ones I can become extremly distressed and emotional about it. I don't know if my attitude changes when I'm going "into one" of those moods and then the argument comes from that, or if the emotional response comes solely from the argument. I do then often feel like I'm shaking profusely and get pins and needles sensations in my face. I feel utterly overwhelmed by anger, disappointment, sadness and fear. I become so overwhelmed at points that I know there needs to be a massive release of some sort to return to a more normal (whatever that is!) and natural calmed state. Inevitably I have found that after some time of distress with no let up I somehow subconsciously decide that I need to release the negative energy and that's when in past situations I have self harmed through punching myself repeatedly as hard as I can. I have punched myself all over my legs and head and face before. Afterwards I am left feeling some relief from the overwhelming emotions, however, I am left feeling very ashamed and I feel really down on myself and depressed (not to mention exhausted) In my search for an answer to stopping this compulsive behaviour I have realised that my being ashamed and afraid of behaving that way just adds to ill feeling about myself and perpetuate the negative cycles. It is terribly embarrassing when I come round from such episodes, as I am aware of how similar to a childs temper tantrum they are! I also feel disappointed in myself for not being able to just stop it. I've decided at this point in my life that what I need is to truly love myself and hating that part of me is not helpful. I am still trying to accomplish this. We all have different sides to us and I need to learn to love the dark AND the light sides of myself. I decided and promised myself that no matter what I must at least TRY to find solutions because giving up on myself simply isn't an option! This is my first sharing of this issue with anyone other than my husband, but I had to let you know that you aren't the only one.
I just want to thank you for sharing this. I find it interesting that your username is Ying and Yang (light and dark) and that you discuss this in your post. I'm currently coming to terms with my mental health issues (GAD and depression), trying not to hate myself, because this just makes it worse. I punch myself in the head to deal with moments that are too frustrating to let go of in any other way. But I need to find another way that isn't damaging to my body. I've been suffering from tinnitus and being a musician, this really sucks. Anyway, I found for your post and made an account just to reply and say thank you, I feel inspired to be more loving of myself. I think I'm self-punishing on many levels, I don't desire sex or even self-love (masturbation) at all anymore, I don't know if that's something that is connected to self-harm. Thanks again for sharing. Am going to look into this more. Best, AK x
alchemise11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Buffy01

Thanks for this!
Buffy01