View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Jun 30, 2016 at 03:01 PM

Hello BananaPancakes: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral… from the Skeezyks! I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit.

I'm sorry your son (& you) are having this difficulty. I have to admit I had not heard of Alice in Wonderland syndrome before & had to look it up. I don't know as I have any particularly useful suggestions for you here. My thinking is that getting your son in to see a child psychologist or neuropsychologist may be the appropriate step here at least... From what you wrote, it sounds as though he has had a number of brain-related problems in his young life including seizures as a newborn, the Alice syndrome & possible hearing problems (which can contribute to feelings of isolation & depression.) Sorting all of this out, & figuring out what to do about it is a job for a highly skilled child or neuropsychologist. I know you wrote your son will be seeing a neurologist & this is a great thing. However, I would presume the neurologist is going to be primarily concerned with your son's physical condition. S/he may not be in a position to assess what is going on with him cognitively & emotionally & to establish a plan for how to address it. At least this is my thinking... for what it's worth...

Beyond that, what I would like to say is that you have not failed your son. You recognize that he's struggling & you're trying to figure out what to do about it. This is to be celebrated! I'm an older person now. But I also struggled as a child. However, I grew up at a time, & in a place, where kids just grew up & whatever happened... happened. Consequently the difficulties I was having were simply overlooked... or ignored. And, as a result, I have struggled my entire life. Would it have made a difference if someone had paid attention? There's no way to know. But it's unfortunate someone didn't try. Yes, it's certainly possible your son could be depressed. And there would not have to be a reason for it. While some depressions may be related to some incident in a person's life (i.e. "situational"), others can be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. Situational depressions can-&-do morph into more long-term clinical, or major, depressions over time if left untreated. So please take what your son is saying to you to heart & do as much as you can to help him overcome.

PsychCentral is a great place to get information as well as support for mental health issues. There are many knowledgeable & caring members here. The more you post, & reply to other members’ posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are social groups you can join & chat rooms where you’ll be able to connect with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) Lots of great stuff! So please keep posting!
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote