Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 11, 2016 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
I don't think you can "fail" at attachment - although as I have an avoidant attachment style myself, who am I to talk?

When did you discuss secure attachment with your therapist? Yours seems more like anxious attachment to me.
I agree that it's not about succeeding or failing at attachment. From what I understand, people tend to end up with their specific attachment style from childhood. Mine is definitely anxious/preoccupied. No matter how much therapy I get, I doubt I'll ever have a 100% secure attachment to anyone. It's just the way I'm wired. I can (and have) become more aware of that issue and understand it better. So that I can realize that when I wonder about someone abandoning me, it's probably coming more from me and my fears/self-doubt than from the other person.

I don't think your T is trying to push you away at all. You were saying you weren't happy with her style, so I think she was just trying to say that if it's not working for you, then you can do what's best for you. Not that she's going to leave you. But that if you realize it's not working with her, that you could in theory choose to leave her. That she would understand.
Save
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, rainbow8, Rive., unaluna