View Single Post
Lost_in_the_woods
Grand Poohbah
Community Liaison

Member Since Dec 2013
2,917 hugs
given
Default Aug 13, 2016 at 06:28 AM

So sorry you feel this way... I definitely think that there is some stigma re: single parent households, but I view it not so much as others not "valuing" the child....as much as pity or ignorant beliefs that a child of a single parent household is disadvantaged both financially and in getting enough attention at home...obviously, this mindset is an ugly sterotype...and isn't any more valid than the belief that a 2 parent household that is below the poverty level or receives assistance isn't a good environment to raise a child either...and unfortunately, there are "statistics out there to justify these stigmas. IMHO, society has poor insight into what a child actually needs to grow up healthy...which is consistency, stability, and a strong sense of values and most importantly...the feeling of unconditional love. ... All the best schools, expensive things, large houses in suburbia, lessons etc are meaningless if a child does not feel that their parent/ parents #1 priority is active validating participation in who their child is...not who they decide their child should be. So I think both yes and no about how a child perceives their worth based on home statistics...yes they do pick up on others ignorant biases, but I think that the msgs and life lessons they receive at home are far more influential than anything else

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep"
Lost_in_the_woods is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Trippin2.0