View Single Post
Trippin2.0
Legendary

Member Since May 2010
600 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 13, 2016 at 09:44 AM

I am a single mother of one child and have quite a few single mother friends / relatives...

It's not about devaluing the child. Not at all... Not that I can see anyway.

When you consider the fact that most of us single mothers have our first child as a teenager, its no wonder nobody is celebrating our "good news"... We're kids forever altering our futures. I was 19, done with school and still got the shyttiest reception. I can only imagine what a 16 year old experiences.

Then you have people like my friends who have multiple kids, so your family is thinking, "dammit you just got on your feet, holding down a good job, child going off to school and you go get pregnant again!"

Valid concern. Again, because its like "Damn girl don't you learn?"

Married couples are usually trying to have babies, so its pure logic that us single mothers are frowned upon and that the "legitimate" babies are celebrated from the get go.

BUT. NEVER have I witnessed a child being treated as less than or devalued because they were born out of wedlock or their dad went to the grocery store never to return.

In fact, where i am from everyone rallies round to make sure that everything is ready for baby's arrival.

Unaluna is right. I have had it easy.

On the contrary, IME married couples actually get less support with their kids (financially and morally / babysitting) because everyone assumes they have it figured out and are doing things as a team. I consistently have to remind my best friend's mom to also babysit for her so she and her hubby can go have a date night, when her other grandkids live with her. Because, you know, single mother working and stuff.

I have no doubt that its true what you say regarding where you live... I'm just skeptical about calling it devaluing the child. But I admit I can't find the words that fit either.

DXD BP1, BPD & OCPD

"The best way to make it through with hearts and wrists in tact, is to realise, two out of three aint bad" FOB...
Trippin2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lost_in_the_woods, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Lost_in_the_woods