View Single Post
itsgettinglate

Member Since Sep 2015
5 hugs
given
Default Sep 02, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Could it be that it's your inner critic that points you toward the view that you're X and Y?

It seems that when we believe something about ourselves, especially something negative, we filter out evidence to the contrary and essentially look for evidence that supports our belief. The belief, the crap your inner critic spouts, likely has some truth to it. Accepting that crap as TRUTH though really skews our perceptions.

I don't know how you experience your inner critic, but I tend to believe that there's more to the message than we may think. You say you're 21. I have no idea, but lets say you can't drive. Most people your age can drive. Behind those facts might be messages like, "it's really weak that a guy my age can't drive" or "how pathetic that I'm playing the helpless little girl". In either case, breathless messages that you should be able to drive and you're falling behind everybody may also be there on some level.

So the fact is you don't drive, and a majority of people your age can. Everything else is where your inner critic gets the lousy rep it deserves. If you think you should be X, or you're "horribly incompetent", those things aren't facts. They'r opinions formed long ago when you were defenseless to challenge them. You're not defenseless now.
itsgettinglate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AVerySadThrow, Yours_Truly