View Single Post
AVerySadThrow

Member Since Aug 2016
37 hugs
given
Default Sep 04, 2016 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward2wards View Post
I have the same problem. Sometimes my Inner Critic spouts semi-believable exaggerations or outright lies, and sometimes it has a valid point. I've been trying to manage it by asking myself, "If I was getting feedback from another person, wouldn't it make sense to do some reality checking?".

One thing my Inner Critic's arguments do is imply that I can't improve things it tells me I'm no good at or will probably fail to achieve. Now that is not realistic. With adequate effort, I theoretically could improve a situation, learn a new skill, etc.

So, where our Inner Critics are giving us a "something unpleasant is happening because you suck and I don't think you can change it" kind of message is a bit like a schoolyard bully asserting "you're a poopyhead". This is not news I can use, Inner Critic - so your argument is invalid!
That's the problem though. Fact checking only confirms the reality of the truth of the inner critic. As much as it pains me to admit it, for me it seems that its just the unfortunate and honest truth that I really am worthless, unlovable, undesirable, and incompetent, to name but a few, with no redeeming qualities, or evidence to the contrary.

Its just even more depressing that it looks like everyone else is able to find things that they can use over time to weaken their inner critic, while not only do I not have anything to counter what she says, but everything she has just been proven true over and over by my live experiences...in other words, its arguments are entirely true and valid...
AVerySadThrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Yours_Truly