View Single Post
BeyondtheRainbow
Wise Elder

Member Since Apr 2015
10.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 05, 2016 at 06:39 PM

Since I was on it for months before my last pdoc did any blood work, didn't figure a few weeks would be an issue as a doc wouldn't be testing within that time frame anyway.

Most pdocs do test blood early on in starting lithium and don't space it out until you've been on it a while. It's unusual to not have labs done early on, several times, before going to a 3 or 6 month schedule.

I understand feeling desperate for meds but I've been toxic 3 times and cannot stress enough that you do NOT want that to happen and the only way to avoid it is to have the labs and a dr. who knows what you are taking. Toxicity can show up weirdly as well and that's another reason a dr knowing is important. Once I had hallucinations that were weird and something about them told my pdoc is was neurological and sure enough it was toxicity that landed me in the medical hospital for days. Another time I threw up daily for months, looking more like gallstones than anything else. And the 3rd time came with no warning until I started vomiting uncontrollably. Each was scary for me and for those around me.

Please don't take this risk.