View Single Post
stopdog
underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 14, 2016 at 03:59 PM

For me, first - I don't want to sit around while people yammer on about their feelings.

Secondly - I would be quite outdone when stupid pointless things worked. Sometimes I try saying the stupid empty **** the woman has tried at me - to my students. And it quite often, mysteriously to me, works - they pack up telling me how much better they feel. I have to stop myself from yelling at them "stop - I just made that **** up- don't fall for it. I didn't mean it. I don't even really know what it means. Come back here and continue feeling bad rather than letting my drivel work."
I don't of course, because if it helps end the emotional angst at me from a student, I am mostly for it = but I am torn. And I am baffled at how it helped them. Like seriously I want to say- "that was the most basic pedestrian made up thing ever and you are saying it helped - are you messing with me? Do you have a brain?" But I have found that students rarely mess with me like that, and they tend to think me asking if they have a brain is an insult - so I refrain. Again, I don't know why but there we have it.

And then I become indignant and pissed off that the woman is just phoning it in = seriously did she really think that crap would help me somehow? She really is just spewing stuff out without any thought and hoping.
So, third, I would feel like a charlatan.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
stopdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, justdesserts, missbella