View Single Post
AAAAA
Elder

Member Since Oct 2007
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 26, 2007 at 10:44 PM

I am at a loss. I love my husband to death but I'm going kill him yet. He is highly intelligent, very successful and cannot seem to do basic math when it comes to finances! Engineering not a problem, math a 6 year old could do is somehow made impossible to do because of the $.

I transferred money into the checking account on Tuesday, and he got paid on Thursday. I figured out the checkbook tonight (Friday) and he added the transfer twice and skipped a large check. In his mind we had $600 more in the checking account than we actually did. When I showed him the balance he just took a calculator and kept adding and re-adding like I had somehow made a mistake. He really didn't know what he did, even though I showed him.

I have a very low limit on his debit card so that he can only spend small amounts of money at a time.

I know this is very frustrating for him as well, he can solve complex problems in the work place but cannot seem to do basic math. When I show him on paper exactly what he did he has got a blank look on his face, clueless. I literally envision beating him over the head with my laptop. (Not my proudest confession)

If I tell him he has $200 allotted for cash this week, and he does not withdraw the money but uses his debit card three times spending $100 each time, he's gone over the $200, but not in his mind. To him its still there "he didn't withdraw it".

It has caused us great financial hardships in the past. Luckily this time we had extra cash to cover his mistakes because I had money hidden that he did not know about. My stash is gone and his hours have been cut a great deal and I don't see the ability to build up another.

I just don't know what to do. He's an adult and the money he spends is for the family. It isn't like he's drinking or gambling away the money. That would almost be easier at least then there would be a logical reason the money is gone and could be repaired. The next step would be to take the debit card away completely and that would be humiliating for both of us. He does not spend a penny on himself. He will buy one of the kids a video game before he buys himself a pair of shoes he desperately needs.

He thinks that I'm worrying too much. I've given him a presentation on our finaces that would make a stock broker proud! He just does not seem to get it. He is quite literally perfect in every other way! He's an excellent father and husband except when it comes to money. I cannot make it any more basic than it is.

I've spoken to my sister-in-law about this and his brother is the same way, and we discovered after her death, his mother was as well. Help!