LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.3k hugs
given
Default Nov 30, 2016 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlylurking View Post
This is your therapy; she's not the boss. Nor can she feel what you're feeling, so she may not get how destabilizing or hellish this is. If she has arguments for why exposure therapy would be best in your case, she can present those and you might agree with her or disagree. I think this sounds like way too much too fast. I wouldn't do the recording and playing back if I were you. Just giving you my personal feeling here, but this sounds like retraumatization. Exposure therapy is probably great for fear of spiders. Seems like a potentially dangerous idea when applied to trauma.
Yeah, I'm familiar with exposure therapy for OCD, but didn't know it was used for trauma. I started doing a bit of it for my contamination fears with OCD, but we didn't get too far before some more pressing issues in my life cropped up, so we switched over to those. I can see how they can help with OCD or phobias, since they could help you get used to something you have to deal with in everyday life. I'm not clear on why it would be beneficial for trauma though.
Save
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
mostlylurking