mc2ed
mc2ed has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
Default Dec 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander187 View Post
i have been in alot of treatment in the past. when i was in the army i was very angry and would lash out alot. i would go to anger managment every week and see a counciler twice a week. when i got out i went to counciling once a week. i got on some meds that help me out. i take serequel ambien and adivan. sometimes i will just be sitting watching tv and my pulse is 140. my anxiety is so high that my heart is pumping twice the normal. my doctor is very worried about it. and as far as the counciling goes. i didnt think it helped that much. you go once or twice a week and talk to somebody who can not relate at all to what you are talking about and pay over $50 per session. i bought a journal for $7 and write in it everyday. and pretty much get the same results. im not the kind of person who likes to sit down and talk about my problems. i kind of just keep to myslelf. i dont understand how going to talk to somebody for a hour helps.
I know this is an old post....yet I wanted to respond to one thing that was said in this...the last sentence...that they didn't understand how going to talk to somebody for an hour helps....
I have a traumatic brain injury open skull...memory loss.......shattered spine....lots of other damage....I went to that talking therapy.....3 times a week for 5 years.....I write in a journal too.....the thing I learned...that I want to point out...in case someone comes to this thread thinking the same thing....
first.....not all therapists are going to fit you....I think it is important when you go to a therapist...that you are investigating them...and what they have to offer in the way of tools for your living......it can be a night and day experience...what you get out of therapy.....
The important thing I wish to express........when you go to therapy...it may seem like you are just talking.....but a good therapist....is from their knowledge....guiding that conversation....they aren't going to TELL you something.....yet they know how to get to what is hidden within you....and get you to ask your own questions....more importantly to discover your answers....it is like when you are learning to do something....you can read the instructions....or someone can tell you what to do.....yet....when you...yourself actually do it....it is experienced in a different way....it becomes embedded....a different memory as it is an actuality....
A good therapist....is the one who leads by asking the questions....that get you to arrive at the destination....on your own....from within....I wish I had the vocabulary....to express.......how a good therapist can make a difference...Even though I do not see one anymore....I learned how tools in how to observe myself....and situations......awareness.....and I do reach out when I need to....one of the reasons I am on this site now......
I will offer too.......I can listen....
I hope anyone suffering....can find a place of help.....
mc2ed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote