View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
Smile Dec 27, 2016 at 09:43 PM

Hello Momto3plus7: Welcome to PsychCentral… from the Skeezyks! May the time you spend here be of benefit.

Obviously I don't know anything about your situation really. So it's difficult to know what to suggest. I take it you are required to get a referral from your GP in order to see a psychiatrist. That is unfortunate... although I must say... I see a psychiatrist & he's not of much more help than it sounds as though your GP has been. So being treated by a psychiatrist isn't always a solution either.

I've been on a number of different SSRI's over the years, including some of the ones you mentioned. The only one I felt did any good at all was Cymbalta. But everyone's experience is so different. It's almost impossible to say what med, if any, would be of benefit to you. I'm not personally aware of any fast-acting, powerful med's one can take for mental health issues. As far as I'm aware, the fast acting, powerful alternative is ECT.

In my case, if I were feeling in desperate need of mental health services, what I would do is to call my health insurer. They have people on staff whose job it is to intercede for members who are in need of services. But I think I'm fortunate to have what I at least consider to be about as good a health insurer as it's probably possible to have. If you are covered by some type of health insurance plan, you might try contacting them to see if they can, or will, be of any help with getting you the services you need.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote