31.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 27, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickntired View Post
The absolutely worst book I have ever read was Manic: A Memoir

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/006143...110_SY165_QL70

Let me give you a synopsis. Terri is a perfect size 6 and all men find her irresistible. She lives in a very exclusive neighborhood in Los Angeles. She is a high power lawyer with a great salary. This income allows her to wear only the best clothes and own a porsche. She turns on all the men single and married when she is manic and hypersexual. Terri never does much of anything that makes her appear less than perfect. She is living the high life.

Don't waste your time.
I couldn't agree more. It was awful. Sure, the charmed life thing was annoying, but the thing that really kept driving me up a wall was that she lumped in all her clearly borderline behaviors. So what, you might say, some people have both. Agreed. BUT. It leaves the inevitable conclusion that she's still talking about them as if they're BP. This really fried my bacon because many, many people won't know it isn't. Don't we already have enough "PR" problems without this conflation misleading people?!

It's been a few years since I read it, so specific examples are fuzzy. I had a spell in therapy where I'd read (and review, lol) psych topic books. When I mentioned the BPD aspects, she totally agreed

What if the author didn't know, you say? She should have known better than to write a book on someting when she doesn't know its parameters. It's just so misleading. God knows she had enough money for therapy to figure it out.

--The Cure
Innerzone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Moose72