Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2014
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 15, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety247 View Post
From my understanding C-PTSD is not just one experience of a traumatic event but it is layered in many trauma's over years. The attachment disorder is usually when you are a kid and they are unable to form healthy secure bond with their caretakers as a result of the neglect/trauma. Causes issues down the road in terms of forming relationships/friendships because people who experience these type of trauma don't trust people after all the people who were suppose to be safe wasn't. The dissociation is the minds way of safeguarding from the trauma it creates a safe place in your mind where you could escape.

I agree it gets hard for therapists to get the right diagnosis with so many symtoms. Many get dx'ed with personality disorders when it's really trauma. T's need to get trauma informed at the very least so they do not harm their patients. Let me say trauma informed care is not a treatment either (big buzz lately) it just means they are trained better to spot the trauma and ethnically they have to refer you to someone who specializes in trauma for treatment
I've noticed that a lot of T's advertise that are trained in trauma but once you get in there you see that's far from the truth. It's seems to be so popular right now that they would see a need for specialized training in trauma in order to sort out the right diagnosis and help the patient. In my experience in the past three years if you mentioned CPTSD the T would have this deer in the headlights look on their face. When you would explain it to them they would promptly explain this is not a diagnosis according to the DSM but that there were sub sections of PTSD that cover it. I wish they would recognize the difference in the two.
BTW welcome to the CPTSD forum

"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
xenos