Trace14
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2014
2,762 hugs
given
Default Mar 15, 2017 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety247 View Post
My thought on why trauma is popular now is with the epidemic of addictions hitting communities. Underneath all this addiction could have a trauma story for many of the people abusing drugs. It's a step in the right directions but if trauma does exist there needs to be more than trauma informed care for these people.

C-PTSD most therapists like you said deer in the headlights no clue. Something funny and sad. I asked a potential therapist recently who assured me she is trained in trauma I asked if she was familiar with Bessel van der Kolk's book. She replied back anyone can write a book. I wanted to laugh so bad....this woman has no clue this person I was referring to is the leading trauma expert in the world. I wanted to say back to her I guess anyone can be a therapist as well. I think this will be a new way for me to screen new therapists asking about Bessel van der Kolk, Peter Levine, and Judith Herman. They all are topic in their field when it comes to trauma. If the therapist has no clue about them pretty good indication not a good fit.

Another therapist just recently who does EMDR you would think is a good fit and they have trauma training. The woman she terrified when I was answering the basic questions, her body was tensing up, she was struggling with her facial expressions and making me feel bad and guilty that I was making her so dang uncomfortable. After that appt I made an appt for following week. The T calls back and says she not trained enough in complex trauma. Probably for the best she would probably re-traumatize me.

Sadly the DSM doesn't include C-PTSD. Most of who have it fall under PTSD for billing purposes. The definition of PTSD does not match the symptoms of complex trauma not does it have the same treatment models. The two are very different. What is hopeful is in the ICD 11 (international classification of diseases) will include complex trauma in 2018.
I think one day the DSM will recognize this and then maybe others will take it more seriously. I had EMDR way too soon by someone who was not well trained and ended up worse off. I didn't know, it was my first therapy experience in my life, and was through work. I now know there's a lot more involved in making a client feel safe before ever starting EMDR. Geesh, no wonder people are in such a mess

"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote