View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Mar 22, 2017 at 03:24 PM

Hello Verumondo: Well... at the risk of sounding as though I'm proselytizing... (I'm not) yes there is at least one way. It is the ancient Tibetan practice called "Lojong" or "mind training". And it is thoroughly & eloquently delineated in the writings of the American Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön. Ani Pema has many wonderful books in print. However her book: Start Where You Are- A Guide to Compassionate Living (Shambhala Publications) is a veritable user's manual for anyone wanting to learn to accept themselves just as they are. (By the way, there are some tantalizing (I hope) quotes from Ani Pema's book in my bio here on PC.)

Depression & anxiety, among other things, are things I've struggled with. And I've tried to get rid of myself twice. So this is serious business for me. I've been on psych med's. And I've tried seeing a few different therapists over the years. None of it amounted to much of anything really. Lojong is where it's at for me. And one doesn't have to become a Buddhist to employ the practices. It does take commitment though. I've read & re-read Ani Pema's books over-&-over, adopted the practices to the best of my ability, & I'm still learning. I've underlined important passages, written in the margins & dog-eared the pages. It takes that kind of commitment. But it's worth the effort. It works. :yahoo

By the way, if you're interested, there are many videos on YouTube of talks Ani Pema has given over the years. She just turned 80 & she's now on a one year retreat.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
woe-be-gone

Thanks for this!
boomerango, shezbut, Verumondo, woe-be-gone