Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2014
1,785 hugs
given
Default Apr 06, 2017 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllelystigre View Post
Hi Vital!
Thank you so much for posting this. It has been some time, and I was wondering if the technique has still been working for you? I started a few days ago and actually felt better right away, but it hasn't quite settled into a habit yet (as ALL habits take time) and I do have a few concerns:
1. You mention in the original post that you've been snapping for over ten months. Do you still have to literally snap, or has it now become a habit so engrained in you that the actual snapping isn't necessary anymore?
2. Even if this does work for me long-term, I'm hesitant to have another "tick" that alienates me, so to speak. Instead of snapping (as I do make decisions on actions all the time when I'm either holding a baby or driving), I've been clicking my tongue. But now I do it ALL the time, even when it's not for making consciousness decisions. I already have a long-standing habit of nervously humming, and I so don't want to become the crazy humming/clucking/snapping lady at the bus stop or anywhere else in public. Is it possible for the technique to eradicate my depression effectively if applied only in private settings? I'm either by myself or caring for an infant most of the time...
3. What if I forget to do it/can't (because I have something in my mouth or what not) every single time? Will I regress? Or are all the healthful benefits of all the times that I've "done it when I can" still there? And remembering to do it when I can only adds to my recovery, even if it isn't for EVERY decision?
4. Lastly (and I really hope you don't take this to wrong way), but if you've successfully eradicated your depression as you say, why are you still so active in this community? I think it's great that you're helping others, and I really hope that you continue to do so...I'm just really curious. I know that when I finally "cure" my depression, I'll want to eventually "leave the past in the past" by distancing myself from the distractions that I had when I was a depressed person.

Thanks so much for all that you do!
Hi mllelystigre!

You're very welcome. I'm so glad that it's at least starting to work for you. If you keep it up, you may find wonderful things happening .

1. It's been almost 3 years now and I still literally snap my fingers many many times a day. I wouldn't call it a habit at all, though. It only really works if you stop and consciously savor that little silly decision you're making. I think one of the very best ways to do it is to stop (you might do it right now) and think of something that you would not normally do. Anything at all. Then, snap your fingers at the moment you decide to actually do it. This is often the first exercise I do with patients.

2. I was surprised to find that people don't mind if you boldly snap your fingers in almost any circumstances. It might help that I usually have a big smile when I do it. In a situation where it would be rude, though, I imagine the word S N A P in big colorful letters instead.

3. It's not important to do it every single time you make a decision, but I think you'll find that if you find yourself sinking a bit, think back, and I think you'll see that you've been forgetting to do it. At least that's my experience. Don't worry, though, it's always there waiting for you. It doesn't wear off.

4. I am willing to spend a lot of time helping others just because I know what it's like being seriously depressed for years and years. If I can help people escape that, easily and even while having fun, what could be better? I don't feel bad about being depressed all those years, strangely enough. It's as if I spent my life dragging chains around without noticing it, and suddenly I just removed them. The immediate feeling of relief is much greater than regret for the past.

Thanks for the note and best of luck.. - vital

Thanks for this!
mllelystigre