View Single Post
Anonymous43456

Default Apr 15, 2017 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohag View Post
Wow - I'm glad they split!

My observation of myself and of others who have posted in many different PC forums is that "early socialization" or "programming" is rarely if ever completely overcome. I'm glad for those (few?) who do free themselves from it, and I'm happy for those who find some way to leverage their unfortunate experiences to produce something positive for them.

I'm sorry; this is most sad. If I may ask (please feel free to ignore the questions), when did you realize your family was "dysfunctional?" When did you come to understand your mother had these personality disorders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohag View Post
I was far more naive. (How much my naiveté is a function of my upbringing is another subject.) It was not until I was a young adult that I suspected my parents' relationship was anything but normal. It took me even longer to consider my mother might have what I now see as a personality disorder.

Some of the important people in my life - grandparents and a few friends - also influenced me to share their view of the sacredness of parents and my duty to honor them. Modifying my views and attitudes has been long and unsettling.

Thank you, Cielpur.
I understand. You were forced to adopt a belief system about parenting, that conflicted with the reality you lived as a child. Now, as an adult, you need to process that all before you can modify it. I'm still processing the damage my mother has done (and continues to do, as she's still living).

It is very difficult to undo the damage done by narcissistic parents. But it can be accomplished. It's a matter of finding the right support system, connecting with the best resource materials (books, articles, blogs, videos) and taking in as much information as possible about the steps needed, to heal from damage done by narcissistic parenting.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Rohag

Thanks for this!
Rohag