View Single Post
SarahSweden
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
219 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 16, 2017 at 04:40 PM

To me itīs not so much about payment or not payment, itīs the fact that the hug canīt be mutual as my counselor is in a professional role and Iīm in a private role.

Iīll always be the dependent one, at least emotionally, and even if my counselor hugs me back it wonīt be as comforting as if she gave me a spontaneous hug.

Degrading situation happens when I try to give her a hug and she is about to turn round to take a seat or when I for example wait for her to greet her with a hug. That doesnīt mean she dislikes the hug, itīs the lack of mutual initiative, that she sometimes hugs me first and sometimes I hug her first. That doesnīt happen and by that perhaps itīs better to just smile and say "hello" and just go inside the room and take a seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh roh View Post
I don't know, Bud. I can't know how my therapist feels, and she is the only one I could even try to make a guess about. She's helped me a lot, so if she feels disgrace over getting paid for that, I would be bothered.

That said, I have seen others who should feel ashamed for having taken my money, but that's a separate issue and has more to do with who they were as people/professionals. But since the OP isn't paying this counselor, I'm not sure how any of this applies. I guess I tend to think that we bring our feelings about ourselves to therapy where they can be made worse, and (if the therapist isn't horrible) eventually worked through.
SarahSweden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote