View Single Post
sunrise
Legendary

Member Since Jan 2007
106 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 30, 2007 at 01:04 PM

EMDR is most well known as a therapy for trauma (PTSD). And its efficacy is best documented in research studies for trauma. But some practitioners use it for other things as well. My interpretation of when my T uses it, is for an situation/memory that you are "stuck" on. EMDR allows you to process and move on. Since trauma usually involves being stuck, that is probably why it is used so successfully with that. I was working on some anger a few months ago and my T said several times we need to do EMDR on that, since I was stuck feeling angry about things that had happened in the past. We never did do EMDR on the anger because there just isn't enough time for us (we tend to move at a rapid pace and new fires come up every week to put out) and EMDR takes a full session or even a session and a half.

Anyway, the short answer is "trauma."

http://www.emdr.com/
</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
American Psychiatric Association (2004). Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Stress Disorder and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Stress Disorder and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines.

• EMDR was given the highest level of recommendation (category for robust empirical support and demonstrated effectiveness) in the treatment of trauma.
Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (2004). VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Post-Traumatic Stress. Washington, DC.

• EMDR was placed in the "A" category as “strongly recommended” for the treatment of trauma.

16 randomized controlled (and 8 nonrandomized) studies have been conducted on EMDR in the treatment of trauma.

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">