Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2015
2,609 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 22, 2017 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skies View Post
They are both just manifestations of the same thing. DID too. It seems to greatly depend on the medical person's view rather than what the person actually has.

There are hundreds of ways borderline can manifest, but people seem to think of it as what the stereotype portrays. I think people who have problems with impulse control, externalization of anger, self harm, hospitalizations, sui attempts would be more likely to be diagnosed with the borderline label even though they could be considered CPTSD. Other people with the same manifestation of issues would be diagnosed as bipolar (though less likely if self-harm is involved).

Other people, me for example, have not had hospitalizations or sui attempts or a long-term history of externalizing anger. I don't 'self harm' but do self destructive things. My anger was turned back at myself for a long time-i am only just coming out of that recently. And I have attachment issues. I consider these borderline traits, in addition to other things I have (eg dissociation) but I've never had that diagnosis.

I'd be pretty upset if someone gave me the borderline diagnosis as it would be in my chart and could follow me for life. I don't think medical people should use personality disorder diagnoses. Most don't. Discussing it is different than being labeled with it.

If it helps to label and classify your issues, why not see yourself as having both? I have learned about both and it's helped me understand myself a great deal.
I honestly have BPD - but it does not define me, it is just a part of me. Much like the fact that I need to wear glasses is a part of me or the fact that I am right handed is a part of me. These are little parts yes, and BPD is seen as a big part. So let's look at some "bigger" parts. I have had seizures since I was fifteen months old. That is a big part of my life - but it does not define me. I still am articulate enough to communicate what I am feeling and thinking, I am able to live a pretty "normal" life - with few limitations, medication, and doctor visits. I also have to be careful how and where I walk becausevI have weak ankles. That is a big part of me - but again, it does not define me. I can still go where I want, it just may take me longer and who knows - maybe I will enjoy getting there more than the other person because I do so at a more leisurely pace. I live on a limited income ... does that define me? No. It just makes me think more carefully how I choose to spend my money.

BPD or any other label is the same. It is an indicator of what is going on in one specific area of your life, but it does not and should not define you. There is nothing to be ashamed of - it's only there to let those that have the capability know how to help you.
Crypts_Of_The_Mind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote