View Single Post
Krow

Member Since Nov 2015
Default May 10, 2017 at 03:11 AM

Yes, I have seen the video before. However, I must note that my opinion of it is notably different than I suspect yours to be. Frankly, I am not particularly fond of political groups featuring young children for persuasive narrative. And not to be too controversial, as I would prefer to avoid a predicament on such a peaceful website, but some of the statistics presented by the video are somewhat misleading. There are innumerable methods in which statistics are capable of being represented-- many of which can support any given side of a debate, but many also tend to be half-truths. Furthermore, within the presentation of statistics, one must be capable of supporting his or her claims through a well-founded study, conducted through a methodology of random sampling of appropriate respective populations. Claims cannot be assuredly staked upon populations not represented within the sample, which is a common projection in modern political studies. Oftentimes the findings are through a small cluster of Ivy League colleges but then inappropriately projected onto the rest of a national or international population, which is deceitful considering the confounding variables and variances to populations that it does not account for. Not to mention, I was not capable of locating their citation database to begin with, meaning that I cannot properly validate studies which are not even provided.

Actually, I myself took a sociology class for a general education course at my own college. After analyzing the statistics and data provided by the textbook respective to the course, I actually found that even "professionally" documented information is frequently tailored towards a strict narrative. They too utilize the same strategy of statistical projection onto unrelated populations for conducted studies. Additionally, studies are commonly cherry-picked based on various semantics, where the definition of an event will be redefined by the surveyor. Unfortunately when it comes down to the topic of statistics, in-depth analyses of original sources are absolutely critical for developing unbiased observations of the full situation.
Krow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
eskielover