guilloche
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2014
2,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 29, 2017 at 03:57 PM

Thanks, Bluebicycle and Unaluna (hi!) -

Bluebicycle... thanks. Yeah, I try to break down my goals. That's a really good suggestion, and these days, I'm generally just focusing on: what is the one next thing that I need to do to move me forward in this day. Like, "OK, just focus on getting out of bed" or "let's just brush the teeth, then we can move on with the day". Like, what is the one thing that is standing between me and the rest of my day.

I think I was more curious whether anyone else knew of any success stories from therapy. I feel like... they're so few and far between? We hear so many stories (and I have my own bucket of them) of people not getting helped in therapy, being hurt by their therapist, being kicked out, or just getting stuck in therapy for decades with little to no progress.

I know there's some bias here - if you've gone through therapy and got what you needed, you're pretty unlikely to be hanging around on a therapy forum encouraging others (presumably there are much more interesting things to go do!). But, it seems like some of us should at least know OF people who met their goals in therapy, got what they wanted out of it, were successful and have moved on?

I'm just feeling... like I'm getting older and older, and nothing is getting any better. It's getting worse. And, I can't see a path out . I don't mean to be dramatic, but I keep *trying* to figure it out... and I feel like I'm in a sinking boat that is constantly taking on more water, and I can't clear it out fast enough. For every bucket I remove, another 3 enter the boat. Like, there's almost nothing left to hope for at that point - you can clearly see the pattern, and you can see that what you're doing (removing buckets of water, one at a time) - if you keep doing that, is not going to be enough, the boat is sinking. But there's no obvious other answer.

Sorry. I am just sinking this weekend. And, when I try to look at possible new therapists (I've had a lot of therapists, and no real great outcomes) - none of them look like they actually have what it takes to be helpful.

Hi Unaluna, nice to see you too. I don't know the answer? I don't know that's the right question? I don't think you do, I think you fix what you've got... maybe? But sometimes people change too, don't they, accidentally? Are you the same person you were 20 years ago? I don't think I am... I feel like I'm missing the point, sorry!
guilloche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
awkwardlyyours, rainbow8