liveforsummer
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2017
5,137 hugs
given
Smile Jun 03, 2017 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyincanada View Post
I've recently been diagnosed as Bipolar 2, after 20+ years of (mostly) unsuccessful treatment for chronic depression and a generalized anxiety disorder. I am also in the process of getting a diagnosis for adult female ADHD (which is so funny to me since I think of hyperactivity as physical, not as the mental issue I deal with!). Anyway. I was wondering if there are any others on here who have had a similar late diagnosis, and what their progress is like being treated correctly? I could use an understanding friend or two.
I too was recently diagnosed Bipolar 2 after 30 years of basically untreated depression, panic attacks and anxiety. My family doc initially prescribed cipralex (escitalopram) 10mg which within a few days unbeknownst to me I was hypomanic. I knew I felt great but didn't realize this was a problem until I saw him for a follow up. He then added epival (divalproex) 250 mg 2x/day. It made me very nauseous so quit both meds. Went into a depression so tried both together again, I stuck with it longer and it did help even me out but couldn't stand the nausea so again quit. I've been cycling from moderate highs to lows since but nothing too out of control. Waiting to see pdoc in a few weeks, see what he says.
But I guess from a lot of what I've read, it takes a while to get the right med combo.
GOOD LUCK!
liveforsummer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote