View Single Post
lily245

Member Since May 2017
68 hugs
given
Default Jun 14, 2017 at 09:52 AM

This is very interesting, I saw this post a few weeks ago and have done this quite a lot the past few days. I'm noticing I feel like I'm more in control of my life and that I care more about what I'm doing. I also do more things that I actually enjoy. And so far it has really helped me to not to ruminate as much as before, like you've mentioned a few times in your post, I think this exercise really helps you to be in the moment. It's really cool!

I wonder if you've ever heard of Stephen Ilardi, he's a professor of psychology and have done a lot of research on depression. (Inserting link to one of his lectures here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDFEbsGRlA). He talks about how they've actually found that when someone is depressed the signals in your brain that fires up when you have a thought thinking you should do something e.g. clean your apartment and then makes you do it, does not work. In other words, the signals in your brain that helps you go from thought to action does not work in a depressed brain. That's why a depressed person can know exactly what needs to be done, but still be unable to do it. And I wonder if this "snapping-exercise" maybe somehow helps you bypass that or somehow helps the brain to function better. I don't know, it's a long shot but it made me think when I read your post. Would be interesting to research.

Hugs from:
vital

Thanks for this!
vital