Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison

Member Since Apr 2013
4,168 hugs
given
Default Jun 20, 2017 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect.the.stars View Post
I wanted to get people's opinions on a certain aspect of gift giving. Please consider these five questions before reading the backstory (located in trigger box).

Question 1: Do you like to be present to see the gift receiver's reaction to your gift? Assume this is a gift you have spent a lot of time on making or put a lot of thought into.

Question 2: If you prefer to be present, do you think you gain happiness from seeing the receiver happy? Do you believe this is the sole reason why you give gifts? (To spread happiness to the other person).
Question 3: If you did not know whether the receiver liked your gift or not, would this make you sad or feel like your effort was not appreciated?
Question 4: If you don't care to be present, is this because you are satisfied with knowing that you gave a great gift? Therefore, it would not matter to be present to witness their reaction because you know the receiver will be happy regardless.
Question 5: If the only reason people give big gifts is so that they can feel a little bit better about themselves, then would that make gifting a large/meaningful present a selfish act?

[trigger]The reason I ask these questions is because I recently put in a lot of effort to look for, purchase, and make 30 presents for my significant other's 30th birthday. I wrapped all of them individually, brought them to his place while he was at work, and decorated a small corner with a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY banner that I made. I couldn't exactly surprise him at work since one of the gifts was a pint of ice cream (I didn't want it to melt), so I placed that in his freezer.

I knew he would be out late that night for his birthday celebration with coworkers, but I wanted him to at least see his surprise when he got home on the day of his actual birthday. The next morning when I found out that he had opened all his gifts without me being there, I felt extremely sad. I did not explicitly tell him to wait for me to open them (so it is not his fault and I don't blame him).

However, this caused me to question why I felt sad. Birthdays are happy occasions. I shouldn't feel sad to give gifts that I knew he would like. I wanted him to be happy, but does that come at the price of being able to see his overjoyed reaction?

I have been turning this over in my head so much that I can't see clearly anymore.

Any of your opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
#1- yes, I do like to be present if possible. Of course seeing a smile means a lot as I've taken time to think about the person and the selected gift. It's bonding in nature, as I think this question over.

#2 yes, it was about the thoughtfulness involved in the exchange.

#3 it's etiquette to acknowledge gifts

#4 logistics

#5 the word meaningful stands out in the question. A gift no matter how big or small isn't necessarily with selfish motives? Nor necessarily to boost self esteem. I gave my oldest son a rather pricey gift for his birthday. Had a warm heart to heart before I did. It was pricey but also a longer term investment, yet, in a style that appeals to a certain side of himself. I wouldn't give that to someone I didn't love and care for though. His reaction was memorable. I had a selfish motive in giving it a couple of days early and I told him that I didn't want to lend to any thoughts that it was a replacement of what just broke.

I truly like the 30 gifts for 30 years! I'm surprised that his reaction despite opening without you adds to your wondering all of this about yourself, your motives, self worth, etc? Is everything ok?
healingme4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
connect.the.stars