View Single Post
CalamityJane425

Member Since Apr 2017
37 hugs
given
Default Jul 03, 2017 at 07:21 AM

Hello,
As a woman who has multiple cognitive issues this is a good topic. Me personally, I've had no help whatsoever so this journey on getting mental health help was a lot like trying to navigate a jungle without a Sherpa to guide me. Years of doctors who wouldn't listen or who would give me a look as if to say "why are you wasting my time" . However what I've learned through the many, many years of trying to find help is good old fashioned footwork which included a non profit agency that helps women who can't afford therapy, useless mental health agencies that didn't seem to care to calling a variety of therapists who reject you b/c they aren't taking on any new clients. When you manage to find a therapist who has an opening your next step is to find out their fees. Most if not all take insurance. I haven't found one that will take Medicare which I get from my disability. I finally found one that doesn't take insurance however her fees were a bit on the pricey side. She was able to lower her rate by 50 dollars which I can manage.
Finding treatment isn't easy at all! It's real confusing, then you have to do so much calling around, going to bad MH agencies, therapists, its a nightmare all the while it seems that no one cares what your going through. This is really scary when your going through this alone, you have your only surviving parent who abused you tell you that they don't know how to help you ( a major dead end). This is why the majority just give up.
Mental Health system needs a major overall. It needs to be a bit easier & less of a hassle.

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky