View Single Post
vickster2017

Member Since Jun 2017
1 hugs
given
Default Jul 05, 2017 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty68 View Post
It seems to be a common practice. They randomly try things at the beginning but I think after a few they can have a more informed plan. No one can predict super accurately what will help or hurt.

That is a lot of psych meds in a short time. They typically take 6-8 weeks before they might start working. I was on the med treadmill for about 21 years before getting off. Unless a med was causing bad side-effects, the shortest time on any of them was about a year.

One thing to look into is pharmacogenetic testing. It is not perfect but can narrow down what meds might be more effective without major side-effects.
Thanks for your feedback!

I have wanted to look into testing, I guess I just haven't because I am not sure who performs it. The pdoc I was seeing certainly never mentioned it.

It was a lot of meds in that time period! A couple weren't anti-depressants, but add-ons like Abilify(which at a high dose made me super manic and a low dose caused a 40lb weight gain). Cymbalta was short lived-I broke out in whole body welts on about day 3. A couple of them caused significant enough side effects that I had to stop as well. But the ones I did stay on for longer, I was maxed out on the dosages with zero benefits. I just got so burned out on the whole idea that I finally just stopped all together.
vickster2017 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote