Magnate

Member Since Jul 2011
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 19, 2017 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttachmentesBueno View Post
I certainly could not and would not allow other adults to make that kind of decision on my behalf if the laws of our land do not consider me fully mentally incapicitated. My parents did that when I was their responsibility and it lead me to not feel I had control over my destiny, so as an adult I allowed my parents and others to make decisions for me that I was against or was unsure of. I would feel like those therapist are treating me like a child and at great emotional expense.

You have no responsibility when it comes to your mental health to look out for what may or may not happen to others. You have to do what is best for you for your emotional and physical well being. And, if you want to report your ex therapist then go for it. You deserve to have that control.
My position exactly. I would be furious if any subsequent therapist reported my ex-therapist without my permission and also if they were pushing me to report. I would feel utterly disempowered. I also get pissed off when people imply that anyone has moral obligation to take care of other clients of the unethical therapist. In most cases, reporting because you want to "protect his/her other clients" is a lie. People report because they seek justice for themselves, not because they want to protect others, so whoever makes that false claim, please, spare me..I wasn't born yesterday. If we were talking about children who were in danger of getting harmed, I would feel differently, because children are often unable to leave harmful situations on their own without an outside intervention. But when adults are concerned, while I understand all psychological reasons that make it difficult to leave unethical therapists, objectively people always have that choice. Their psychological struggles around leaving are theirs to resolve. No one can do that for them nor should they attempt to. These are highly personal struggles that hold a lot of potential for self-empowerment for the person, but he or she should make that choice alone.

Bernie Sanders/Tulsi Gabbard 2020
Ididitmyway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Cali95, naenin