View Single Post
splitimage
Community Support Team

Member Since Mar 2006
76 hugs
given
Default Jul 26, 2017 at 08:45 AM

I was approved for Ontario Works yesterday. It's the most basic form of social assistance in Ontario, and is available to anyone who has no other income.

The amount it pays out, are ridiculously low - the housing allowance is $376 a month. You can't even rent a room for that. Even the case worker I talked to admitted the housing allowance was too low, but that's what the ministry had set it at. By contrast my rent is $660 a month. I'm not sure what the basic needs allowance is, but I think it's around $350 a month.

The good news is now that I've been approved for Ontario Works, I'm deemed financially eligible for disability, and now can start the process of applying for disability insurance, once they mail me the forms. So I'll take them into my Dr. the next time I see him.

The bad news is I've been told that the approval time, once they receive the documentation is 8 months. And I can't work during that time.

Good thing I've got family willing to help me financially.

splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favourite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

splitimage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous55397, Anonymous57777, BeyondtheRainbow, Keyplayer, Nammu, shezbut, unaluna