View Single Post
kkrrhh

Member Since Dec 2015
101 hugs
given
Default Aug 12, 2017 at 01:04 AM

Hi! I meant to do some searching since I'm guessing trazodone's been talked about, being an older med and all, but I know a lot of info online is about it being used for sleep.
I recently quit Nardil and have been looking for a new med, and had also considered mentioning trazodone to my pdoc just at a low dose for insomnia. At my last appointment, mainly because we couldn't decide on something else, he decided that I should try trazodone at a higher dose...as in, for depression and anxiety, too. I'm not super hopeful about it, but since it's a kind of unique med and I have bad luck with a lot of antidepressants, I decided why not. These first few days even my starting dose knocks me out and makes me want to sleep all day, but of course that might change. Sedating meds don't tend to work well for me, though, so I've already been iffy.

Still, I'm trying it for now but guessing even if it helps some and I stay on it, I'll probably want to consider adding another med to it. A lot of the time I'm stubborn about not wanting to take multiple meds, but had finally decided maybe I'd try one of the combos that can be done safely, like SSRI+tca (I think?) or something. Before my appointment I'd been considering Prozac (because despite eventually hating it, when I took it years ago it was one of the few meds I've tried that helped me a bit), a few different TCAs, or amoxapine. Right now I'm on 200 mg Lamictal, and will probably be at 100 mg of trazodone or possibly a higher dose

Has anyone had any luck with trazodone, for anxiety/depression? Also, has anyone ever combined trazodone with any other meds that worked well?

Has anyone ever tried a tca+other med combo, or had really good luck with any tca's general? Or, even, has anyone tried any sort of unique combos that've worked really well (w/o any APs)?

And just because this trazodone thing has brought it to my mind, I want to ask one more thing. Despite having severe anxiety, it seems like a lot of sedating meds don't work well for me and sometimes make me feel worse, including meds that seem to work well for others with anxiety. In some cases, like with klonopin or seroquel, I think it's at least partly because it worsens my depression so feeling negative makes the anxiety worse. There have been others though where it just seems like being sedated and slowed down makes me anxious.
Meds that are too stimulating make my anxiety worse too though, of course. Wellbutrin seemed like it could've helped my anxiety in some ways just by feeling more positive, but it was definitely too much. Some stims actually seem to help my anxiety a bit especially at first, but the physical anxiety (especially when I'm in public) gets worse. It almost feels like maybe there's a balance, where if my thoughts are too fast I'm anxious, but if they slow down too much it's almost easier to get anxious and focus on anxious thoughts?

Does anyone else get worse anxiety from meds that make them feel sedated or tired?

Last edited by kkrrhh; Aug 12, 2017 at 01:17 AM..
kkrrhh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote