View Single Post
rdgrad15
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 21, 2017 at 04:40 PM

Anyone else afraid to cross boundaries with other people even if you're told to help someone out with something and the person you were told to help out makes it very clear they don't want your help? I've been in that situation where I feel like I am in the middle, someone wants me to help someone else but the other person says no and it goes back and forth. For me, I start getting very anxious since I don't want to come off as disrespectful and not listen to the person telling me to assist someone, but at the same time, I want to respect the person who denies my help.

Not only do I want to respect their decision, but I've been in that situation myself as well. Someone assumes I need help when I really don't need help and when I politely turn them down, they keep on insisting that they will help me which makes me feel very uncomfortable. In a couple cases, I have gotten annoyed at someone who persistently keeps on trying to help me with someone when it is not needed to the point where if I ever did need any help in the future, I would not ask the person who wouldn't leave me alone.

I know it sounds harsh but that's just how I feel and I wouldn't want anyone else to feel the same way towards me. I like to respect other people's decisions, just like how I would want someone to respect my decision. Anyone else afraid of crossing other people's boundaries? Have you ever just accepted someone's decision to not let you help them despite being told to do so? It doesn't have to be just work related. It can be in social situations too. Five years ago, during my first time as an Orientation Leader, I was expected to help out the freshmen.

For the most part it went great, no problems. But at one point during the weekend, I was flat out told by a group of freshmen I was told to help that they didn't want me. That was fine, but I still felt extremely torn apart since I was expected to help. But I told someone that the group did not want any help whatsoever and they were okay with it and respected their wishes, which I was glad. Same thing sometimes happens at work. Every so often, a student will say they don't need or want help so I will quietly let the teacher know and the teacher is okay with it and respects that decision as well. I always just find other people that may need help. There are many other examples as well. Do you get extreme anxiety when feeling torn apart? Just wondered what your experiences were.

Last edited by rdgrad15; Aug 21, 2017 at 05:00 PM..
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote