View Single Post
adlucem

Member Since Sep 2017
Default Sep 06, 2017 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzen View Post
Hi folks,

I have found anything on Buddhism to be more than a little helpful. Having read loads of self help stuff (usually when I'm in my own low phase) I wanted something that I could study 'on the level' so to speak, that would be relevant whatever condition I was in.

As I am vulnerable to 'scrupulosity' as discussed on another thread, and have had a close call with Catholicism, I have chosen the least doctrinaire branch of Buddhism that I could find.

The book I return to is 'Buddhism without Beliefs' by Stephen Batchelor. The paperback is easily available on Amazon and quite cheap.

A powerful message that comes over in this view of the world is that suffering (dhukka) applies to all living creatures, not just to those of us with diagnoses of specific illness. By tying in my study of this branch of zen with a meditation group that is non denominational, I have a path which is looking hopeful.

I feel that any sort of mental illness is isolating and painfully self focussing, and this practice helps to break that pattern.

Cheers, Myzen.
This is a very important message, especially so for a predominantly Western audience. I think the insistence to keep spirituality away from a discussion on mental illness is very damaging and detracting. Spirituality, in particular Buddhism, is a huge source of solace and provides excellent perspectives on how to modify one's attitudes and responses to life so as to be happier. I've seen it working very well and I fervently wish more people would discover it as a source of happiness. We need to understand that medication, though very important, is only one of the ways to deal with mental illness. Thanks Myzen!
adlucem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote