View Single Post
Keyplayer

Member Since Jul 2017
688 hugs
given
Default Sep 18, 2017 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimage View Post
I was approved for Ontario Works yesterday. It's the most basic form of social assistance in Ontario, and is available to anyone who has no other income.

The amount it pays out, are ridiculously low - the housing allowance is $376 a month. You can't even rent a room for that. Even the case worker I talked to admitted the housing allowance was too low, but that's what the ministry had set it at. By contrast my rent is $660 a month. I'm not sure what the basic needs allowance is, but I think it's around $350 a month.

The good news is now that I've been approved for Ontario Works, I'm deemed financially eligible for disability, and now can start the process of applying for disability insurance, once they mail me the forms. So I'll take them into my Dr. the next time I see him.

The bad news is I've been told that the approval time, once they receive the documentation is 8 months. And I can't work during that time.

Good thing I've got family willing to help me financially.

splitimage
Hi Split .

I am happy for you , in the US , the most you can have and FILE is 7, 280.00 and it could take up to 3 months before you get any help

Is it any wonder I am in therapy , I have to literally go broke before my own country will help me.

Sure , I have a few bucks saved , but even after I get help , the housing down here is like you and even worst is the "supplemental security income" which comes to a whopping 194.00 per month. I am supposed to live off of less than 50 bucks a week ?

If you here on the news that somebody whom has never run for any elected office in the land is running for The Presidency of these United States " , well change your citizenship , come down here and vote for me.

I will appoint you Secretary of the Interior !! , thats just a few heart beats away from being the leader of the free world!!

Wish me luck

KP 
Keyplayer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote