View Single Post
AAAAA
Elder

Member Since Oct 2007
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 03, 2008 at 06:04 PM

First let me say that my father was a police officer as are many of my relatives and I have the utmost respect and appreciation for the job that they do for us.

That being said.... I come from a LONG line of drinkers on both sides of my family. One July I was visiting my hometown for the holiday and was downtown with the majority of my family. For ONCE my uncle had actually walked to the bar rather than drive. I do not drink and was completely sober, my uncle on the other hand would pretty well lit. My uncle and I were walking home from the bar and I'll be damned if we didn't get stopped on the way home.

The police office had seen me exit the bar and stumble over a rock while we were walking home. My uncle made a comment about my grace and tripping over my own two feet and we were laughting.

The young police officer that stopped us was fresh from the academy, not from the area and very anxious to make a name for himself. He stopped and asked where we were headed (duh, small town, only thing in the direction we were heading are houses), home I replied. And I started to continue on my way (I REALLY wanted to get my uncle out of there before his mouth got him in trouble, as it turned out, as it turns out, I should have been more worried about MY mouth.)

When I started to walk away, this guy coped an attitude. I'm like "look, I don't drink, my uncle and I are just walking home, we're not hurting anyone." The cop scoffed, "if you don't drink, why were you in the bar." Well this just set me off.

Fortunately for me, my cousin (also a cop) approached the "scene" and said "hey Kat, what's going on?" Cop #1 says "you know her? Says she wasn't drinking but I saw her coming out of the bar." Cousin says "Yeah, I know her, she doesn't drink, and her your boss is her father." Suddenly he's nice as pie.

This just pissed me off further! What if my father hadn't been his boss? (My father btw was very angry with me for acting in that manner!)

To this day I refuse to speak to Officer A**hole as I knicknamed him. I am all for getting drunk drivers off the road. I do not think that drunks should be permitted to disrupt the average citizen's enjoyment of public places. But I see this as an abuse of his authority. I think there should be some sort of common sense middle ground.

I wonder why your son's girlfriend didn't call you to bail him out if she was unable to come up with the money herself unless perhaps she hoped this experience would teach him something.