View Single Post
Bookworm257

Member Since Jun 2017
16 hugs
given
Confused Oct 26, 2017 at 12:49 AM

Hi. So, my whole life it was very hard for me to make friends, because I was just really awkward and didn't know how to act around my peers. I also have a tendency to get overwhelmed in social situations, where my brain basically shuts down and I can't get more than a word or two out when asked something, because my brain won't let me for some reason, but the intense overwhelming feeling only started in middle school not that long ago. I only began to realize I was socially awkward about six months ago when my dad's gf pointed it out to me. I had been staying with her mother for a few days while they were away, and when she got back she was told by her mother that I had been acting very awkward to the point it was a little rude. My dad's gf also mentioned that I sometimes didn't respond when her daughter (who I don't know very well) says hello and that that was rude. The truth is, I have a hard time with being aware of how Im presenting myself socially. I don't know how to act appropriately, and cannot maintain eye contact. I have trouble expressing emotion, and often stare blankly when talking to people I don't know or know well.
As for other traits of autism, like stimming for example, I do like to rub my fingers together and flick them, and when I am completely alone, I like to clap loudly or move my arms up and down and shake my hands out violently, or spin around. I also have a sensitivity to loud sounds, and will often ask my parents to turn down the tv, even if it's fine for them.
I have taken a test online. I got a score of 38, and for a high likelihood of autism it needed to be a score of at least 34, so I think that's another indcator.
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote