View Single Post
JessF

Member Since Apr 2004
Default Jan 05, 2005 at 02:55 AM

I joined this forum roughly a year ago. At the time I was in an emotionally abusive relationship and I have since moved on.

At the moment, a friend of mine is in a similar situation. She's 18 and been dating her 18 year old b/f for more than two years by now. He is prone to obsessive jealous behaviour, of which I have been whitness to, and quite disturbing I might add.

After the last incident, she ended her relationship with him. At which point he began to cry and admitted that he had a problem. He's since gone to several therapy sessions. In her opinion, he seems to have made "progress" after only a few sessions. She's since returned to him.

I feel trapped because she and I have become extremly close since the beginning of our friendship. Part of me wants her to leave her b/f with his history of verbal and emotional abuse, and start a relationship with me. When she went back to him, it really hurt. But from what I've read, and what I experienced a year ago, I understand how she might be locked into an abusice relationship. I don't want to come between her and him, if he can work through his problems I'm sure they'd be really happy together.

My question's are:
1. how often do abusive people reform with therapy?
2. if he's in therapy at age 18, what can she expect for the future?
3. how can I as her friend show my concern without being intrusive or seem jealous myself?

this forum has been a big help to me in the past and I am forever greatful to those that can offer any incite on my current situation.

Sincerely, Jess
JessF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote