Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
888 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 18, 2017 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writingwithink View Post
I have been struggling with this topic for a while now and feel lost about what to do. For those of you who may have difficulty with being intimate with your partner, how do you handle it? Do some of you have parts that take over which ruin it? I hate bringing it up even in this anonymous setting, but I don’t know what to do. I have been with my spouse for 14 years, and in that time, we have been intimate less than ten times. During those times, things would happen inside of me (e.g., parts appearing), and, well, it was perfectly fine for me to never be intimate in that way again. But for approximately six months, I have noticed a shift in my thinking about this, and I find myself wanting to be intimate with her. She is my wife, she is my friend, she is my rock, she enjoys and appreciates what I give to the relationship, and I love her immensely. We care for each other deeply. I can only imagine how deeper that relationship would be if we were intimate, and as I watch the years go by, I realize how unfortunate it would be if we got to the end of our lives and never really knew each other in that way. I have thought about giving it a try again (of the less-than-ten times we’ve been intimate, the last time was well over seven years ago, possibly longer), but I greatly fear that the parts would emerge again, and in attempting to reconnect with her, I fear I would set the expectation in her that we will continue to be intimate even though I would not be able to keep doing it if the same thing happens with the parts and the awful feelings.

Finally, I am so sorry if this is too much information in this post and is triggering or violates anyone’s boundaries. I just don’t know what to do.
my alters actually helped my and my now wifes intimacy. being a survivor of sexual abuse, (wont go into details because I dont want to trigger anyone) intimacy wasnt my strong suit if you know what I mean. just something as simple as hand holding or any other form of touch was enough to trigger me to dissociate because I could not handle it, reminded me of my abusers.

my system was one where when ever I dissociated the one whos sense of agency was to handle the problem that caused me to dissociate would be the one that would take control and handle that which I could not...

because of this any time my now wife and I started getting intimate I would freeze up, dissociate, then an alter took control and on with the show so to speak. because my sexualized alters were well versed and taught about sex from my abusers things in that department of my and my now wifes life had quite a variety.

my problem with intimacy was more of a problem as an integrated person where the alters were no longer taking control to handle what I could not. now I had to do everything on my own and I wasnt comfortable with intimacy.

on comes the couples therapy and sex therapy for my now wife and I to learn, experiment and turn fear and dread that abusers instilled to being something that it now very enjoyable.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
writingwithink