Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
1,603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 18, 2017 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbie View Post
I'd like for people not to take that exaggerated startle reflex personally. If I jump through the ceiling because you made a noise I wasn't expecting, or because you suddenly came into my field of vision when I didn't know you were there, it doesn't mean I'm afraid of *you.* It's called a reflex because it's something my body does automatically, and there isn't anything anybody can do about it.
I fully relate to this. I've seen people genuinely offended by my startle response, even angry! One man who touched my shoulder from behind (he wanted to tell me something trivial) began shouting at me because I jumped from fear when he did that. He began yelling at me that I'm paranoid and he wouldn't touch me since he has a daughter older than me. Then he walked away furious....And the worst thing was it took me time to realise it wasn't my fault. I automatically assumed I was "the weird one" again and felt ashamed.
seeker33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous38191, Anonymous45390, katydid777, MtnTime2896, Onward2wards, RoxanneToto, Squaw

Thanks for this!
ACrystalGem, GeminiNZ, MtnTime2896, Onward2wards, RoxanneToto, Squaw