RubyRae
Grand Member

Member Since Apr 2017
455 hugs
given
Default Nov 18, 2017 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbie View Post
There are people who know full well that somebody has PTSD, and make a game of deliberately jumping out at them so they can laugh at the startle reaction. That is truly sadistic. I won't tolerate people like that in my life anymore.

Yes, PTSD does get thrown around casually. If somebody once fell down a flight of stairs, and ever since then they've been very careful on stairs, this isn't because they "have PTSD about it." It's because they learned a life lesson. I've read where it's become the latest fad diagnosis, and that upsets me because when that happens, it waters down the public perception of it, and people who actually have real, live PTSD are taken less seriously.
I agree that it's sadistic to purposely startle someone.It's so very cruel and hurtful.I have had people do it to me just so they can laugh.My reaction is so over the top and it's humiliating enough already,the last thing I need or want is someone laughing at me or causing it for their own entertainment.

I didn't understand what PTSD was before I received the diagnosis and learned about it through therapy and research.I did know it was a severe illness though and that it took some pretty major stuff to cause it,like being in war.I actually only thought it was something those in the military could get.So I was surprised when I was diagnosed.

I've noticed it's mostly young people that throw the PTSD label around casually,claiming it for a bad break up or because a parent yelled at them once,etc.It does seem to be a fad dx for some reason.

Maybe I'm missing the glamour of it?If anyone thinks it's a cool thing to have,they can have mine,I would gladly give it away in a heartbeat.

My son asked me recently "how does it feel to be traumatized mom?"I told him I don't know how it feels to not be,I've had PTSD since I was a young child and explained my symptoms,what I go through when I've been triggered,etc.It was hard to describe what feeling "traumatized" is when I don't have a before traumatization to compare it to.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Albatross2008, Anonymous38191, Anonymous45390, katydid777, MtnTime2896, Open Eyes, Persephone518, RoxanneToto, Squaw

Thanks for this!
KYWoman, MtnTime2896, RoxanneToto, Squaw, TrailRunner14