Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 20, 2017 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozader View Post
Hmm... it's not something I'd like to hear from a therapist either way I don't think (and so far I haven't). I'm not interested in whether they've had clients with my issues before, I'd rather be treated as an individual regardless. I don't want to be made to feel that I'm a freak, nor do I want to hear that my s**t is just the same s**t as everyone else (though I'm sure much of it is).

Perhaps there is also a part of me that wants to be different, that wants to shock them. That wants to be special...

In fact, definitely there is a part of me like that.
Oh, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I didn't take it to mean that me or my story is like anybody else but that the things I am ashamed of about myself are not so weird or upsetting that they are outside the human experience. I think I have also decided that I am probably special to my T, so maybe I feel more secure about her saying that she's "heard it all" than I would otherwise. (Not special in a boundary-crossing way, but special in a valued, understood way.)

I do know that there is at least one thing I'm going through that she hasn't dealt with before (because I asked her), but I feel confident that she has enough training and life experience to help (like, training with a certain thing, life experience with another thing, cobble that together with a little empathy and good listening skills and we will be fine). And like MrsDuckL said, I like the idea that she will be able to use the things that she learns from me with future clients, even though that is merely a byproduct and not the goal of the work we're doing.
ElectricManatee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
lucozader, MrsDuckL, TrailRunner14, WarmFuzzySocks