View Single Post
weedpsychosis

Member Since Dec 2017
Default Dec 15, 2017 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow23 View Post
"Do you think I should start taking seroquel again? I've been on seroquel remeron combination once before about 5 months ago, also the doc did give me a choice of remeron or seroquel"

Obviously that is your decision, but I think that, if you are doing well on mirtazapine/remeron and seroquel/quetiapine was giving intolerable sexual side effects, it's probably worth staying as you are and see what happens.

Psychosis is a spectrum, and paranoia, even bad paranoia, in the absence of hallucinations and delusions is towards the milder end of the scale. Personally I don't worry much about hallucinations and delusions either until it gets debilitating, but maybe that's just me.

All that to say that you don't necessarily 'need' an antipsychotic (AP). If remeron/mirtazapine is helping, stick with that. Besides, seroquel/quetiapine is quite a weak AP in terms of its actions on dopamine receptors compared to other APs. It is very sedating though, but so is remeron/mirtazapine, if that suits you.

With the mirtazapine/remeron though, watch for any signs of mania if you've had AD-induced mania in the past. Though, as I said, it's quite a sedating AD (antidepressant) so there should be less of a risk.

Also, I don't know if Avalon is another brand name for mirtazapine, like Remeron is?? If so, no mirtazapine isn't an AP, but that doesn't mean that it can't help you.

One last thing, as you are concerned about Christmas coming up, watch your stress levels. Stress can induce paranoia and dissociative experiences, and even full blown psychosis, so it's important to work on self-care strategies to manage your stress levels, especially until you've fully recovered. We can offer suggestions if you are struggling to think of things to do to help.

And I'm glad to hear that you are going to stay away from drugs. All the best

*Willow*
Thanks for replying willow it's very helpful at the moment..

I actually decided against taking the seroquel regularly until I see the doctor again (even tho I did take a quarter of a tablet yesterday)

As you said the mirtazapine is kind of working at the moment it's been about 13 days since i started a 15mg dose the doc said after 3 weeks which will be the 22nd I will be feeling better that will be just in time for Xmas so really hoping his right.

It got me thinking about this spectrum that you mentioned, I'm not a actually suspicious of people or have delusions, little to no paranoia as well, it's more some impairment which was quite bad after stopping the seroquel it might be worth mentioning that for the first week off seroquel things weren't that bad maybe I felt a bit depressed but that's expected when you stop a heavy duty psych med cold turkey, after a week the impaired feeling slowly started creeping in with a pressure around the back of my head it used to happen after lunch lunch time morning I would feel fine! There were some days I would think oh I'm starting to feel better now feeling mentally sharp then later that day I the impairment would kick back in

Questions, with psychosis if that's what i I have? Normal to feel better in the morning? Normal when I don't get much sleep i feel worse? (this next one more applied after stopping the seroquel) Also some moments I would have great mental clarity? Also you said about stress, ive noticed when I'm stressed or someone says something to upset my thoughts get irrational..

You don't have to respond to any of my questions, you've already helped enough i know none of this is proper medical advice, but it's really helpful.

I've made a doc appointment next wendesday (was when you said mirtazapine no AP action) I might cancel this appointment an wait for my one scheduled on the 27th

Also making appointment, next week to get in with a psychiatrist next year..

Thank you hopefully xmas will be alright, I might have a beer before I arrive to meet an greet, (suffer from anxiety)

btw, that's another thing alcohol seems to help with what I'm going through as long as I don't have to much of it? That normal for psychosis or not? I know years ago I read schizophrenics are worse with alcohol.
weedpsychosis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote