Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,275 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 18, 2017 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
Cable TV can be quite a rip-off. I dumped mine. I got a good amplified antenna for my TV at BestBuy. I think it cost $40 or $50. Also I have the Roku stick. My Internet access is through the federally subsidized low income program through my landline phone company. That costs me about $22/month, and it's fast enough (12 mbps) to accomodate the Roku stick.

The high def reception you get through just an antenna is impressive. I get quite a few channels. I also have a "smart" TV that lets me watch YouTube streamed from my wireless computer modem, using my inexpensive Kindle Fire tablet as an interface device. I'm finding out that there is a great wealth of interesting stuff you can get for free from YouTube.

My satellite provider wasn't a bad deal, but I got to where I couldn't justify the expense. Cable (as in "no dish" non-satellite cable) is just a scandalous rip-off of the American consumer. Something needs to be done about those providers. They charge, like, $20/month more than the satellite dish-style companies for comparable basic packages, and the reception has more issues, while the remote and user interface are less well-designed. Some apartment complexes won't allow tenants to have satellite dishes installed, forcing you to use cable cable. Those should be regulated like the virtual monopolies that they've become.
Yup, you are SO right about cable. I also have a roku stick and I use that quite a bit. I found out I can't change my cable plan until I get current on my bill (I have extensions) so I'm stuck with it for a few more days.

We can have satellite at my apartment but it's costly as you have to get insurance. Like I said, I might check out Hulu again as that's much cheaper and I remember it had numerous shows. Regardless, there's nothing on TV that I can't live without. I'll miss some of it but it won't kill me. Netflix series have been pretty good entertainment lately.

Oh. And Rose, I got hit with a potential Part D fine today. I have to show them I was insured for a certain period of time. And then I have to apply for an special enrollment period. Both should be okay. But also, I may be going back to work and having private insurance. I don't know what the rules are if you're under 65 and have medicare because of disability and go back to work....shouldn't they let you off those fines because you're not over 65? I can't imagine having to fulfill medicare needs for 30 more years before I'm retirement age.

Seesaw

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote