Poohbah

Member Since Dec 2015
136 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 02, 2018 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson View Post
I have mentioned this in the Bipolar Check In thread. However, I am now asking for a little support and ideas on how I can handle this. I am sorry for the very long post.

I have initiated a process that can end up with a job in the career I had before my SSDI. I have been out of work for about 20 years. I am already 58 years old. Anyways, the employment service plans to get me a job in this field which can be very stressful at time. I am going to work part time in order to keep my SS benefits. If this works out, and I get a good enough offer, I will work full time. I have to get a full time job for I have large debts and I have no money in the bank.

I am really really scared about re-entering the job market. I constantly think about this. What if I cannot function well enough? What if I crash and end up being fired? I would feel absolutely terrible about that. My mind does not work as well as it did in the past. I frequently forget what I was about to do. I sometimes cannot focus. I have already gone through a very stressful time in my life. I probably will be very overwhelmed at first which can lead to severe depression. I do not have a support system in place. It can take over a year to stabilize me due to infrequent visits to my pdoc due to going to a public facility.

I understand there are others here who have gone through this same situation. How did you cope with this? Did you end up quitting, or end up being firied? I would also like some feedback from those who do not work but still understand my situation. I thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

By the way, it was very difficult to make this thread. I am becoming a needy incapable weakling. I do not like showing this side of myself.
——part time? Mentor who has gone thru returning? Mentor at the employer?
Build all yr support system ASAP, strengthen yrself in all ways, gym, friends, hobby to take mind off work, attend prof assoc mtgs. I am facing same decision .make sure yr meds are right in advance. We all have these fears. My friend says break it down. Give yrself at least one success every day. It’s ok not to do everything perfectly. The most successful people have stumbled. Just pad any tumbles.
luvyrself is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote