View Single Post
Agent Misty

Member Since Jul 2016
27 hugs
given
Default Jan 20, 2018 at 01:15 AM

Asking you how long you plan to see a therpist, and pretty much all those other questions seem very odd to ask during an interview. I can't say wether it was inappropriate or not, but certainly unnecessary and uncomfortable. I am socially shy and anxious at times and would personally be offended if she jumped straight to asking me if I'm getting help, taking meds, etc. If I said I wanted the chance to improve my social skills.

I personally avoid talking about my social skills, good or bad, as much as possible at interviews because my fear that it would become problematic. To tell a hiring manager that I have good social skills would be a lie they would come to realize later lol. But to say I needed to work on it would make me feel that will give the employer some pre-concieved notions about my socialability that would probably be wrong or even damaging to my chances because... it's not a black or white matter, but some people treat it that way. That being said being honest is not bad but there are sometimes implications to that kind of honestly. wording is key. To say you want to advance your social skills in the work place is good but I would avoid the word anxious or anxiety. The last time I told a professional I had anxiety was at a blood donor place... result? had to get a written approval to donate from my therapist, which I told her I did not see anymore and just quit taking the med I listed, it was my last refill and was empty but it was still in my system since it was so recent so thats why I added it to my med list. The nurse wouldn't listen. I contacted the therapist and told her this and she said she would not do it since I don't actually take that med anymore. I explained this to the nurse again and she refused to let me donate. I'm pretty sure that was not really legal. Mind you my sister was with me and went in first with this nurse. when she spoke with that nurse she told her she was taking that medication (same as me!) too but did not mention anxiety to the woman like I did... so she got to go right ahead and donate.

Anyway I would say you or not over-reacting. The questions were way too much considering the original comment could be summed up to wanting more social opportunities
Agent Misty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote