View Single Post
Tinly

Member Since Mar 2017
1 hugs
given
Default Jan 20, 2018 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike007 View Post
I'm sorry that you are going through this. I can not personally relate to your situation, as I don't have a spouse going through depression, but I myself am going through depression.

For me, it may or may not be seasonal; I don't know.

But in terms of medications, feeling like a zombie on one just may mean that that isn't the right medication. There are different medications do try. Is it possible for your husband to do therapy too? Therapy helps a lot for depression, and studies show that it does help too.

At least for me, I sometimes push people away when I have depression because I feel like a burden to them, and don't want them to feel the same way that I do, and feel that they don't want to hang around sad people. So it's always helpful to say that you are there for him, and that you may not understand the exact state he is in, but that you are willing to listen to him. Just say that every so often.

Other things to help with depression would be like eating healthy, having proper sleeping habits, getting exercise. Many of these things I stop doing because it's a symptom of depression. I tend to eat too much or too little, and sleep too much or too little. I always feel tired so I don't exercise. Is it possible for you and your husband to take a walk around the block everyday? I find that doing something makes me not feel as bad about myself.

The hardest thing for depression with me is getting out of bed. I have no motivation or energy to do things, so is there something you could do like say make/buy his favourite meal, watch his favourite movie, or something that would help motivate him to get out of bed (if this is struggle)? I also tend to lose interest in the things I love, so it may be hard to watch or do these things, as it isn't as exciting as it used to be. But you have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Also, if he can't do therapy, there are plenty of self-help books or free worksheets online you can print/download to do. CBT is currently the main therapy used for depression.

I hope some of this helps. The only thing you can do is be there for him.
I do think that he’s pushing me away cause he doesn’t want me to see him like this and he’s ashamed. It’s sad to me that he doesn’t feel comfortable enough to talk to me about he’s feeling. I do try to ask if he wants to go eat or watch a movie but he doesn’t want to. He’s not even eating the foods that I cook for him but he is eating else where. He is going out in the day time but then comes home and just crashes on the couch.
I’m just glad he’s home and not doing coming home and doing good knows what. I can’t talk to him about adding therapy to his medication at the moment until he hopefully comes out of this episode. I’m actually not even sure if it’s an episode or a permanent condition. It’s all very frustrating cause I do want to get involved in his treatment but he’s not talking to me and I can’t ask him about it. I’m just praying that he can come out of this and it’s only been a week since he took his medication. I know it can take up to 2 weeks to see results.
Tinly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote