View Single Post
rechu
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,066 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 01, 2018 at 01:20 PM

Wow, it sounds like a lot of mothers get weird about names!

I live in a country where women don't change their last name when marrying. It's not done. No matter where I got married, I wouldn't have changed it, but here, on top of that, it would have been very difficult (court process) and people would think my husband and I were brother and sister.

When I announced I was getting married, my mother would not let up about the subject. According to her, everyone was asking her if I was going to change my name or not, and she said she kept forgetting what to tell them. I doubt that more than one or two people actually asked! This was years ago, so her recent memory issues aren't related to this. She just became really weird about the issue.

When I finally got it into her head that it wasn't the custom here and I wasn't going to do it, she tried to convince me I should do it anyways, and that my name would sound good with his last name (it doesn't, too many repeated letters).

Interestingly, she has said on many occasions that if she had gotten married at a later date when it was more acceptable for women to keep their name she would have kept hers. Sounds also a bit like jealousy of independence. She didn't want to change her name but caved into pressure, so I should also have to change mine!?!
rechu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote