View Single Post
ArcheM
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2016
Default Feb 04, 2018 at 04:53 AM

Those include nowadays mainly Welsh and Irish...

I come across examples of text in those languages (even names) and just get a gut reaction, I almost start salivating. I've got no idea. You could almost say they turn me on.

The problem is that from my corner of the world they are for all intents and purposes almost extinct. And I know that for effective learning I need an extensive and living corpus of literature and other media... Well, from my research, there may be some hope with literature, but everything else... I mean, there's like one Netflix series in Welsh and I feel like that's going to be celebrated like a cultural milestone for the next half-century.

Celtic languages are very obscure for the outside world. For example, when I look up Celtic authors, they inevitably wrote in English. People may speak the languages at home and nearby but I'm very pessimistic about finding traces of them outside, apart from study materials. But, I mean, study materials are only a limited tool, not... not even the core of the journey, from my point of view.

And before you say it, I've got no interest in moving to the respective countries, or even engaging with the speakers personally. As a self-diagnosed ASD person, perhaps unfortunately, I feel no interest in the individual speakers, and mostly care for the sight, sound, and stories of the language.

Well, this is my sad story of an unrequited fascination with a particular language group. At least now I don't have to suffer in silence.

Life is a journey without a destination.
ArcheM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LadyShadow, OctobersBlackRose, Rose76, Skeezyks

Thanks for this!
MuseumGhost, OctobersBlackRose