View Single Post
louise88

Member Since Jan 2018
Default Feb 05, 2018 at 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow23 View Post
Unfortunately, there's not really any way of predicting individually. It really depends on whether you have an underlying propensity to psychosis already, and what type of drugs you did/how much/for how long etc.

Anyone can experience psychosis from lack of sleep, extreme stress, poor self care etc, but it's more likely if you've already had a psychotic episode. And the more episodes of psychosis that you have, the more likely you are to have another.

You might be able to google search for risk percentages, but that won't really tell you what your individual risk is: it's just best guess. If I was you, what I'd focus on is doing everything I could to minimise the chance of relapse, which would mean staying away from recreational drugs completely and forever as even one more time could trigger it as you're already susceptible. It also means staying on top of self-care by ensuring that you sleep enough, eat properly, manage stress well, don't drink too much alcohol etc.

Rincad mentioned APs: there is some evidence that staying on an AP for a while after the psychosis remits can reduce the risk of relapse. However, people argue how long that should be for; anything from 6 months to 2 years. Did you ever take an AP? If so, for how long? It is something that you could discuss with EIP, if you wanted, and weigh up the pros and cons of AP treatment at this point. They could also discuss with you ways to try to minimise the risk of relapse, and early warning signs of possible relapse and what to do about them, which you might find helpful.

All the best

*Willow*
I’m with my EIP team for two years after my psychosis. I meet with them every week I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist in mid march which they referred me to. I’mnot familiar with the term AP? What is it? Thanks!
louise88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote